What a celebratory year it has been with the Diamond Jubilee, Olympics and Paralympics. It has perhaps been the best year of sport we have ever witnessed…and the year has ended on a high with Wills and Kate announcing her pregnancy.
Looking back over the year, we felt it was only right to highlight our five favourite bits.
1. On 6 February 2012, The Queen became only the second British Monarch to celebrate a Diamond Jubilee. An estimated 90,000 people attended the Diamond Jubilee Festival in Battersea Park and watched the Thames Pageant from there. Crowds in central London were estimated to number 1.2 million people even though it was raining!
2. The Olympics – More than a billion people tuned in to watch daredevil Gary Connery’s historic parachute jump into the Olympic Park dressed as the Queen at the climax of Danny Boyle’s spectacular opening ceremony. And who could forget Mo Farah’s now famous “mobot” pose, which became one of the most enduring images of the Games
3. Andy Murray won the US open – hooray and also reached the Wimbledon final and won Olympic gold this summer. Andy is e first British man to win a Grand Slam title in 76 years.
4. Barack Obama was returned to the White House on November 7, despite lingering dissatisfaction with the economy and a hard-fought challenge by his Republican opponent Mitt Romney.
5. Children in Need raised a record £26.7 million in one night after a six-hour telethon. About 20 of Britain’s Olympic and Paralympic stars also got in on the action in a special music video; among them was Zara Phillips’ Olympic 3 Day Eventing team dancing Gangnam Style in a special video!
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas from all of us here at Galt Toys